Here at UoG we have many successful teams and athletes, from individuals representing their country to teams winning BUCS Leagues and Championships. We will be showcasing our student's successes as the year goes on.
BUCS Surf competition – UoG entered 2 students in the BUCS Surf Championships and Boardriders achieved their best record at the event! Chris Jarvis came 3rd in the first round and Tomas Walker came 3rd in the 3rd round narrowly missing out on the quarter finals. Walker also had one of the highest scores of the day, this is the furthers UoG have ever gotten in the Surf championships
BUCS Snowsports competition – UoG sent 4 students to compete. In the ski race, Thomas Holmes came 6th out of 100+ and made it into the national finals later in the year! Michael Urbanksy came 64th. Snowboard race Chris Jarvis came 20th and Tomas Walker came 21st out of 100+ they both just missed out on the finals.
BUCS Tennis Doubles Championships - Matthew Jones and Edward Battersby competed in the tennis doubles in November and had an excellent run, finishing in the top 16 pairs in the country.
BCA Super Classic (Cheerleading) - UOG Dynamitesentered their Level 2 Stunt team in the competition and achieved 1st Place! A truly remarkable achievement against some other high-level groups. It was the club's 1st place at a competition since 2015/16.
BUCS Judo - UOG Sports Scholar Chloe Robyns-Landricombe won gold in the <57kg category. This was different to Chloe's normal weight category so she did exceptionally well to come away with the gold medal!
Basketball - UOG Raiders won the 2022/2023 John Llewellyn Cup Competition with an 81-69 victory against Cheltenham Hawks.
As well as individual and team successes in competitions, each year we hold our own Sports Awards ceremony.
The 2023 Sports Awards winners were:
- Best Marketed Club of the Year - American Football
- Most Improved Club of the Year - Basketball
- Julia Hester Memorial Award (Badminton) - Owen Waters
- Most Engaged Club wiith the Students' Union - Cheerleading
- Event of the Year - So You Think You Can Dance
- Support Staff Member of the Year - Harry Wilson
- Peformance of the Year - Men's Rugby Union Varsity
- Award for Inclusivity - Swim4All (Swimming & Water Polo)
- Award for Male Sporting Excellence - Josh Ricketts (American Football)
- Award for Female Sport Excellence - Chloe Robyns-Landricombe (Judo)
- Club Member of the Year - Tash Lelliott (Women's Football & Futsal)
- Award for Services to Fundraising and Charity - Netball
- Sports Personality of the Year - George Kelman-Johns (Swimming & Water Polo)
- Club Captain of the Year - Frances Fox (Women's Rugby Union)
- Club of the Year - Dance
- Sports Scholar of the Year - Lauren Kianchehr (Boccia Umpire)
- Unisport Activator of the Year - Frances Fox