- I have noticed that the pandemic has revealed certain cracks within the university - communication. This needs to be both more frequent and clearer to ensure transparency.
- A way of partly achieving this is to implement fortnightly Q&A’s for students, with members of staff from different sectors of the university. This will enable students to voice their concerns, ask questions and feel like they are being heard.
Update: My first Q&A is coming up soon...head to our SU socials for more details!
REBUILDING: STUDENT COMMUNITY
- All students have been negatively impacted by the pandemic. I aim to work with various sport and society teams to help facilitate joint events/socials. However, I am aware that not all students participate in a sports team or society. It is about creating opportunities such as cross-campus events, so that all students can engage in the wider student life.
- Students will now rightly be itching to have a normal experience of student life. I will do my best to help the transition from a virtual to physical student life run as smoothly as possible.
EMBRACE DIVERSITY AT UOG
- A thriving student community is about embracing and celebrating diversity. I aspire to promote and raise awareness of this diversity, such as running events for important social and cultural events such as Black History month and LGBTQ+ History Month.
- I want to run focus groups for all those that face marginalization. I really hope to embrace the diversity of UOG’s community, by bringing students together.
STUDENT SERVICES- VISIBILITY AND ACCESS
- Through speaking to students, it is clear that issues of visibility and accessibility to services online are prevalent. I want to improve the visibility, such as on My Glos and social media to reaffirm timescales like for counselling waiting times. I would aim to work with student services to ensure students can access this support.
Priority Campaign- Everyone Is Welcome
As well as my manifesto points, I also have a priority campaign that I plan to focus on throughout the year that is related to Diversity and Inclusivity, and it is called 'Everyone Is Welcome.' You can find more details about it here, including specific action points of how I plan to achieve it: https://www.uogsu.com/student-voice/campaigns/2021-22/