Mature Students Society Meeting
Minutes from: 10th December 2021
Attendees: Kirsty Deary (Treasurer) & Natalie Murphy (Secretary).
Apologies: Cathy Dean (President) & Emma Green (Social Media Officer).
Location: Microsoft Teams
- Welcome to the 2nd mature student’s society meeting (NM)
Unfortunately, EG and CD have been unable to make today’s meeting, but KD and NM will continue to address all the topics on the agenda.
- Addressing actions from the last meeting (All)
- Create instructions on how to access Admin page for Mature Students Society committee members – verbal instruction has been given and all committee members understand how to work the system.
- Answering the SU’s question regarding our legacy – in progress.
- Check minutes before publishing to the society – completed.
- Minutes and Agenda for next meeting – completed.
- Create word document listing the ground rules for committee members – completed.
- Create word document for us to brainstorm event ideas – completed.
- Create a WhatsApp group for continued communication amongst committee members – completed and is being used well.
- Come up with fundraising ideas once we have our events agreed – completed. See below for detailed discussion.
- Merchandise ideas and how much to sell them for – in progress.
- Create a Mature Students Email address, to be used for social media – in progress.
- Creating/revamping mature students’ social media and communication – in progress.
- Poll to be created to see which social media platform mature students use – in progress.
- Create a new logo (EG) – in progress.
- Think of a charity committee members would like to support – complete.
- Think of items for the agenda in preparation for the next meeting. NM would like to see them by 3rd December please – complete.
- Event ideas – as per file in Teams (All)
KD and NM discussed the idea of regular coffee mornings, perhaps one every fortnight at each campus, so that all mature students can get involved. Agreed that due to lectures next semester the best time for us would be a Tuesday morning but must run this by other committee members of the society before committing to this. Other suggestions included,
- Drag night (this was an event put on by the SU at fresher’s week and was very successful).
- Open mic nights
- Picnics in the summer
- Christmas party (we haven’t organised this, due to current restrictions, but it is something to think about for the future).
- New semester parties.
- Separate fresher and graduation events, for those that don’t feel comfortable going to the standard ones.
- Fundraising for events (KD)
KD came up with a suggestion of offering cakes in return for a donation at the coffee mornings. The funds of this can then be used to contribute to future events and coffee mornings and be used to donate to the mature student’s charity of choice.
Regarding other events, tickets would need to be sold, particularly when renting places or hiring entertainment acts.
- Advertising events (All)
NM is happy to put together a monthly newsletter.
- Supporting charities (All)
KD suggested the chosen charity could be a local children’s charity. NM suggested Suicide Prevention Bristol, which then lead us onto the conversation about how our chosen charity could be the university’s nightline, to support this new venture. We have received confirmation that this is a charity, so will run the idea past the other committee members before the final agreement.
- Agreeing actions for next meeting. (All)
- Answering the SU’s question regarding our legacy
- Check minutes before publishing to the society
- Minutes and Agenda for next meeting
- Creation of monthly newsletter
- Merchandise ideas and how much to sell them for
- Create a Mature Students Email address, to be used for social media
- Creating/revamping mature students’ social media and communication
- Poll to be created to see which social media platform mature students use
- Create a new logo
- Confirmation of charity committee members would like to support
- Agreement of regular coffee mornings and a date when these can start
- Depending on covid restrictions, planning of a new semester party/late Christmas party
- Think of items for the agenda in preparation for the next meeting. NM would like to see them by 3rd January please
- Date of next meeting (All)
- 10th January 2022 at 12:30pm via Microsoft Teams